Monday, June 4, 2012

Unit 7 Meeting Aesclepius

The exercise we did this week was very peaceful, especially when I have had a very long, difficult week. By imagining my grandmother rocking on her porch in front of the ocean, I felt I could imagine talking with her and listening to her tell me stories and teaching me her wisdom.  Very, very peaceful indeed.

"One cannot lead another where one has not gone himself."  I can't say that I truly believe wholly in this statement, as a lot of health care professionals have helped a lot of people in many ways, even if they have not gone through the same thing.  But there is another side.  When someone has been through the same thing we have been through, it is easier for us to relate with them and talk to them, even if they are a total stranger. Sometimes, just having someone to talk to is therapeutic.  Keeping an open mind can help us put aside our personal feelings and open up to others.

Rebecca Ott

2 comments:

  1. I thought that this meditation was great too. Empathy is a great trait something you need to have and with empathy you can teach people but people pay more attention to your actions rather than your words. So I think that you should be the example as well as have empathy. It’s just like with our children, as a child my father told me not to smoke but he was a 2 pack a day chain smoker. His words didn’t have an impact on me but his actions did. So I too became a smoker. We can’t experience everything, thank God, but as a professional in health care we should try to set a positive example.

    Terri Bentley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebecca,

    I'm almost in complete agreement with you when you talk about being able to relate easier when someone has been through similar circumstance. Truly, though, the statement doesn't necessarily have to be 100 percent correct. The truth is that Integral Health is something completely different to everyone. We all want that kind of health for a different reason. No two approaches to it are the same and nor should they be. So to expect that a professional has been through EVERY single kind of situation is a tad ridiculous, right? Right. Well done!

    Thanks,

    James Banks

    ReplyDelete