Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Unit 6 Universal Loving Kindness

While I reapeated this exercise, it really helped me understand that I have to think outside of my own selfishness and self-centeredness.  Saying this out loud really helped - there is something when you give positive words of affirmation.  I think that when we have been through certain types of adversity in our life, it can help us better understand what others are going through.  By putting others before ourselves, therein lies the key to becoming a servant-leader.  After reading through our chapters, I am realizing how very little of myself I really know.  There is a saying "you don't know what you don't know."  I'm glad this material has been able to open our eyes to other possibilities. 

Cheers!

Rebecca Ott

5 comments:

  1. Hi Rebecca!

    Isn’t it a trip when you really get to know yourself! I’ve spent more time soul searching and in tears because of what we’ve been reading and the meditations. Learning to slow down and listen. To observe your feelings and to think before you speak. None of the information we’ve learned is new to me but I think I’ve allowed myself to let my guard down so that the information can really sink in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are certain events that when experienced then put into perspective, they can be related to others by correlation. We have now these soul searches with newfound personal knowledge, it's now up to us to find a way thses experiences can be trasnlated for others to feel. Our own selfishness is a barrier that also can make us scoff at someone else's suffering. I've had to deal with my own tears throughout our readings and assignments and what I do find comforting is that my experiences are unique, but the pain can seem just as insurmountable as another person's. I understand the difference lies in my compassion towards others and found I should respect that difference as golden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebecca,

    Very true words spoken, and as I read them I instantly thought, maybe I am afraid to know what’s within. I have a hard time focusing on these meditation and thought practices, and it simply may be that I am afraid of the answer, or the person that I want to be but others expect me to be the “not me” person.

    I think change is so hard for others in our lives that it makes it even more difficult to do the necessary change within ourselves first. I do believe that by learning our own capabilities, and even purpose, can make us a better person overall and the one that we were intended to be as well.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rebecca,

    I think most of us are right there with you. Especially as women, I think we tend to pay much more attention to others and their needs to the point that we never really consider who we really are. These exercises can be a bit unnerving when you're sitting alone in silence with no one but yourself. If you've not paid much attention to yourself, it can be a bit disarming. Isn't it great though to get an insight, however small, and then realize the possibilities! Now I approach meditation with childlike curiosity...wondering what I might find out today. :)

    Carrie Lawson

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rebecca,
    Thanks for sharing your comments on this weeks blog. I think I would have to agree with you on the exercise. After doing this exercise its crazy how it makes you feel like a different person at the end of it. After doing this exercise, I also felt like it helps you open up to who you are and really makes you focus. I would say if anyone has the chance to do anything once a week, meditation is a good choice. The after affect and how it makes you feel is crazy. Thanks for sharing.

    Brittany Everman

    ReplyDelete